Steve State

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Repressing Colloquial Barbarisms #4

From the Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell 1791

Johnson: 'Poor stuff! No, Sir, Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero (smiling) must drink brandy'

I reminded him how heartily he and I used to drink wine together, when we were first acquainted; and how I used to have a headache after sitting up with him. He did not like to have this recalled, or, perhaps, thinking that I had boasted improperly, resolved to have a witty stroke at me:

Johnson: Nay, Sir, it was not the wine that made your head ache, but the sense that I put into it
Boswell: What, Sir! will sense make the head ache?
Johnson: Yes, Sir, (with a smile) when it is not used to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home