Steve State

Thursday, May 04, 2006

This mule ain't from Moscow..

I often laugh at the things that come out of the mouth of Thom Yorke. He's hilarious. I remember he once said that he loved Autechre because they sounded like the sounds inside his head. Wow. He's so deep. I guess I know what he means, though. Sometimes there's a need to listen to chaos. There is comfort there. On occassions. I listened to Confield last night. And then I listened to Cecil Taylor's Conquistador this morning. I couldn't have listened to either of them two days ago, for instance. But last night and this morning they really worked.

Weedawg has made me listen to Hail To The Thief the past few nights. We Suck Young Blood completely rips off Charles Mingus' Freedom from the The Complete Town Hall Concert album. The slow hand-claps, the Ride cymbal with nails in it, the pace, the piano, the timbres. One of the most important pieces of music from the 20th century. Overstatement? Exaggeration? Go listen to it and then come back... They admitted as much in an interview going as far back as 1999/2000. I included it in my dissertation. So this is a band revered for being cutting edge, ripping off someone else's material and then using re-hashed stuff from 5 years ago. Mmm...Knowing what they know about music (and they know a lot), how can they do that?!!!

Went to see the Flaming Lips at Birmingham Academy last week. They were great but I'm not going to do the obligatory gig review you'll be pleased to know. Hell, you can read it elsewhere. But have a look at the photos on Steve Gerrard's site. He's local to Birmingham. There are some excellent gig photos on there but there are also some great shots of NYC (I know, zzzzzz....) and some really good portrait shots.



,,,,,,.

2 Comments:

  • I've always been perplexed at critic's attacks on "The Complete Town Hall Concert" as a "low point" in Mingus' career. Yes it could have been more refined and rehearsed but it is powerful and in subtle ways says so much about that era... I could go on but I won't. I love that album. And "Freedom" has such terrible beauty and passion. I'm glad to see you seem to recognize that!

    I hear the similarities you point out in Radiohead's "We Suck...". But you could make the same argument for similarities to countless recordings of old spirituals (which were Mingus' inspiration). By your logic, Mingus ripped off coutless artists who performed/recorded old spirituals. From there, you could go back centuries across continents with your indictment!

    I admire Radiohead for their success in getting creative and musically rich arrangements into the mainstream. I think your indictment of them is too dismissive.

    Sure, it eventually becomes fashionable to attack and dismiss musicians that attain the widespread respect Radiohead has attained. In a market so flooded with hyperbole, it can refreshing to hear semmingly "smart" criticism-- and rewarding to write it: after all, you get your blog read more frequently, and you get to exercise your talent to great effect, making you come off as very intelligent for being familiar with somewhat obscure yet important music, and clever enough to notice similarities!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 15:22  

  • They took inspiration, you fucking moron

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 23:15  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home