Steve State

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My throat gets parched...

This is from some time ago now but everyone's favourite New Yawk cabbie, the New York Hack, has secured a book deal. Wow. She writes some great stuff. Not sure what form the book will take but nothing (well, I guess there's a few things) gives me greater pleasure than reading her blog. It's hard to match that feeling I got on the taxi ride from JFK to Manhattan. But she comes close to explicitly depicting the buzz, the atmosphere, the style, the attitude of the city. I'm thinking of going back at the end of June. I just want to be there. Reading Kitchen Confidential isn't helping my yearning either. I went on a lonesome jazz pilgrimage in May 2003 which I think I have mentioned elsewhere on here so I won't go on about it again...

Maybe it's time to check LA out...Now that would be something...Been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm once again and that gives me a real taste for it. Must be a strange place to go. I remember the old Bill Hicks routine about LA. He'd moved there from NYC and had had just about enough:

"I love calling my friends in LA: 'What are you doing?' 'I'm out by the pool! How about you?' 'I'm reading a book! We're thinking back East!'"

, , , , .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home