Steve State

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Repressing Colloquial Barbarisms #3

From the Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell 1791

Here I shall record a scene of too much heat between Dr Johnson and Dr Thomas Percy, which I should have supressed were it not that it gave occasion to display the truely tender and benevolent heart of Johnson, who, as soon as he found a friend was at all hurt by any thing whe he had 'said in his wrath', was not only prompt and desirous to be reconciled, but exerted himself to make ample reparation. Books of Travel having been mentioned, Johnson praised Pennant very highly.

Percy: Pennant does not describe well; a carrier who goes along the side of Loch Lomond would describe it better.
Johnson: I think he describes very well.
Percy: I travelled after him.
Johnson: And I travelled after him.
Percy: But, my good friend, you are short-sighted, and do not see so well as I do.

Dr Johnson said nothing at the time; but inflammable particles were collecting for a cloud to burst. In a little while Dr Percy said something more in disparagement of Pennant.

Johnson (pointedly): This is the resentment of a narrow mind, because he did find every thing in Northumberland
Percy (feeling the stroke): Sir, you may be as rude as you please
Johnson: Hold, Sir! Don't talk of rudeness; remember, Sir, you told me (puffing hard with passion struggling for a vent) I was short sighted. We have done with civility. We are to be as rude as we please.
Percy: Upon my honour, Sir, I did not mean to be uncivil.
Johnson: I cannot say so, Sir; for I did mean to be uncivil, thinking you had been uncivil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home