Steve State

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Freedom Blues / The sadness falls

Robert Frank has been covered a lot in the media this week due to his exhibition starting at the Tate Modern. They interviewed him for the Observer on Sunday. Talking about his artist wife he says, 'I envy her freedom to sit down in front of a blank page and not have some machine get in the way. That is freedom. Photography is not feedom.' Then check this out:

Robert Frank had captured an everyday America, shrouded in an epic sense of
lonliness, a sadness...Some of that sadness was quintessentially American, to do
with the vastness of the continent and the struggle to survive that many of its
ordinary citizens are engaged in, and some of it was to do with Robert Frank,
his outsider gaze. "I think I always had a cold eye. I always saw things
realistically. But, it's also easier to show the darkness than the joy of life.
Life is not beautiful all the time. Life can be good, then you lie down, and
stare up at the ceiling, and the sadness falls on you. Things move on, time
passes, people go away, and sometimes they don't come back...Happy is a big
word...I guess I got where I wanted to get, but it didn't turn out to be the
place I hoped it would be."

Wow... This is an artist's artist. I need to see this exhibition...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home