Steve State

Friday, December 22, 2006

I might just save the world...

Wednesday 24 Novemeber 2004

1824hrs. Listening to: Ryan Adams: Gold. Wow.

This journal business is becoming difficult to maintain. Been listening to Television: Marquee Moon over the past 2 days. I think its an album that any serious music lover should re-visit every 3 months. For me its the the ultimate album. It has everything. Balls, great lyrics (when discernible), beautifully constructed progressions and compositional techniques, great musicianship (lots of strange time signatures and half-bars which don't detract in any sense from the final product) and the solos. The solos. Space is allotted for the sole purpose of soloing, a dangerous tactic if the solos weren't up to anything. Some songs have 3 separate solos. Boy, do they pull it off. The drummer plays loads of crochet triplets (huge feature of Latin, Cuban music) giving you the feeling that the melting pot of the Lower East Side of NYC influenced his playing. You can't make the perfect album (unless you're extremely narrow-minded). This comes after perfect, whatever judgment that might be.

I've been meeting Arnaud on my lunches. When that hasn't happened, I walk to St Paul's Square. I found it by accident. For so long I have wondered where the hell it was and how to get there. I was walking off Newhall St, to Sound Control (with a Philpotts roast turkey sandwich in my hand...) and I saw a church, which I have seen so many times before and simply walked on by. As I walked towards it the Tarnished Halo appeared on the right, and then the Actress and Bishop on the left, opposite the Mongolian and Sushi restaraunts, a gorgeously subtle Mediterranean restaraunt. Aesthetically wondrous, feels like a London square but reminded me of NYC even though it itsnt like anything in Manhattan (I don't think). The church has a ton of benches and well kept greenenery. The Jam House is there (shoot me if I ever contribute to Jools Holland's considerable pockets). It's a lovely place. Going for a meal at Locanti Piccalilee on Saturday night with Ben.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home