Steve State

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Broken Summers

Monday 25 October 2004
Outgoing email to Woo:
DAVID!
How's things?
I've just had an email that Seinfeld DVD Box Set is on its way from Amazon!!!!! Yeah!
My writing has now become the forefront of my musical activities. I am considering doing a Masters in Composition next year either in Birmingham or London. I've been recording a lot recently. I've been trying to improvise with myself using my Korg MS2000 and my Korg Kaos Pad via my 4-track and its produced some really interesting results. Improv is something I would really like to explore further.

I shall be coming down to London one of the weekends in November (either 13th or 20th). Will be going to see the Robert Frank exhibition at the Tate Modern - did you see the South Bank Show on him a few weeks ago? This guy is amazing! May also catch a bit of the London Jazz festival, although a lot of the great stuff is on in the week. If you can, you should go and see Brad Mehldau at Wigmore Hall on the 16th or 17th - he's a pianist. Amazing.
http://www.serious.org.uk/index2.cfm?refid=84&tmpt=tmpt3&tmptID=42

Been to see a lot of stuff recently - are you into James Yorkston (and The Athletes)? If you haven't checked them out yet you would absolutley love him. He's on Domino. Check out Adem if you can as well. They both have their own websites where you can check out samples or whatever. I saw Roy Ayers last month who was superb (doing a lot of his collaborative stuff with Fela Kuti).
The CBSO (through Birmingham Jazz) put on a lot of really good gigs - I saw the Tim Garland Quartet on Friday night He's a white English sax player and he plays with Chick Corea as do the others in the quartet. The bass player was also the bandleader for Jack DeJohnette and the drummer played with Ray Charles. Tim had a goatee beard and a bad orange shirt. They played a Coltrane tune, a Chick Corea and a Miles tune as well as promoting their new album. The guitarist was from NYC and although he was awesome in his playing, he was also a little too keen on 'weird' noises and FX pedals. He destroyed one tune by making his guitar sounding like a marimba. Why? Totally pointless. I am all for using technology to progress music and push the boundaries bit I can't see why you would want make an instrument sound like something else. The technique required to play a marimba is somewhat different to that required to play a guitar and when you have reached the high standard this guitarist had it feels like such a waste. It was a good night, made more enjoyable by being on my own. It was the first time I had been there - it's a really nice space just off Broad St. Got a fucking parking ticket. I parked in almost the exact spot I did the last time I got a ticket. I'm a moron. A moron who could do without spending £30 on a parking ticket. http://www.timgarland.com/

Last night I went to see the Birmingham Electro-Acoustic Sound Theatre (BEAST) at the CBSO. 5 pieces written for cello from different composers from all over the world. Was really good but the £12 entry fee was somewhat steep. The music varied from piece to piece. One piece was kind of scored improv, another explored tunings, another triggered samples from a laptop. Another was inspired by the sound of rolling metal balls on wood which also triggered samples of the very balls the music was inspired by. They turned all the lights off for one piece and they played in the dark. The two female cellists were awesomely attractive. The male one wasn't one - his name was Caspar - you can imagine the type - all goofy grins - he was shit hot on his instrument though. Most of those were students. They all seemed so young but I guess they were 18-20.
www.beastmusic.co.uk

I have been immersing myself in some really good music - Derek Bailey, Nick Cave's new album (it really is brilliant - will be seeing him in Wolverhampton next week - did you know he lives in Brighton? Have we already had that conversation?!) Jim O' Rourke, Greg Davis, Elliott Smith's posthumous album (well worth getting) Elvis Costello's new album, Animal Collective.... There are these improv sessions every other week in Moseley which I shall be attending.

What books are you reading at the moment?
I'm reading one on Edward Hopper and John Fante's 'Wait until Spring, Bandini'. Just finished reading the superb 'Motherless Brooklyn' by Jonathan Lethem.
Watched Ghost World again the other night - I see myself as the Steve Buscemi character which is a little worrying... Don't know whether we've had this conversation or not but have you checked out American Splendor yet - the comic and/or the film? - There is an Anthology book which is stupendous and widely available - you'd love it. Is there a Daniel Clowes book you'd recommend for me?

I've seen so many films over the last few months that there are too many to mention in this increasing lengthy email. I will mention just two though. Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Saw them the wrong way round. Won't go into them now but if you haven't seen them or don't know anything about them - do some research - you won't regret it! Stunningly good.
Did you see Rollins is touring again? I'm going to the Hammersmith show with my brother in Jan. I have just re-read his latest two books - 'Smile, You're Travelling' and 'Broken Summers'. Great stuff. Inspiring.

Take care David
Stephen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home