Steve State

Thursday, December 14, 2006

The sadness falls....

Wednesday 27 October 2004

2052hrs Listening to The Early Gurus of Electronic Music. Messaien's 'Oraison', a piece written for an ensemble of Ondes Maternot. Beautiful stuff.

It's so cold in my room that I have had to bring a radiator in. Just sitting here you can feel the draught from the single pane window. I emailed Pete Fairclough today. It was a lengthy email. I checked the last time I got in touch - June 2003 - when I came back from NYC. I'm hoping he will be able to offer me some advice. Of what kind I don't know.

Have done some great recoding over the past few days. I have attempted to increase the experimentation of several existing songs. This is in the hope of melding the organic and the non-organic, the found sound with the traditional, the heart and the mind. I have also written a few pieces from scratch, improvising with myself on the four track. I really enjoyed it - it's a great feeling when you improvise and yet still pull something off that's soulful and has meaning. I will try and master the songs at some point over the next few days.

Robert Frank has been covered a lot in the media this week due to his exhibition starting at the Tate Modern. They interviewed him for the Observer on Sunday. Talking about his artist wife he says, 'I envy her freedom to sit down in front of a blank page and not have some machine get in the way. That is freedom. Photography is not freedom.' Then check this out:

'Robert Frank had captured an everyday America, shrouded in an epic sense of loneliness, a sadness...Some of that sadness was quintessentially American, to do with the vastness of the continent and the struggle to survive that many of its ordinary citizens are engaged in, and some of it was to do with Robert Frank, his outsider gaze. "I think I always had a cold eye. I always saw things realistically. But, it's also easier to show the darkness than the joy of life. Life is not beautiful all the time. Life can be good, then you lie down, and stare up at the ceiling, and the sadness falls on you. Things move on, time passes, people go away, and sometimes they don't come back...Happy is a big word...I guess I got where I wanted to get, but it didn't turn out to be the place I hoped it would be."'

Wow... This is an artist's artist. I need to see this exhibition...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home