Steve State

Monday, August 22, 2005

CountryBlueGrassBlues

So Jellie's moving to Stoke Newington. Good luck to her. I've been there just once I think, with T. I went to see Peter Fairclough and Keith Tippett. Pete taught me to play kit and is a true inspiration. He played at the Vortex which is now re-opened albeit in a new location. From what I remember N16 is somewhat quaint and the walk to the nearest tube is a long one. The gig was great. I bumped into my mate Spencer who was on the first year of my degree course. He came down to London Town to attend BassTech. His grandfather owned a jazz label and Spencer played bass (he played good, real good) and trumpet. Should have kept in touch with the guy.

When I was in NYC, I went on a pilgrimage to Charlie Parker Avenue on the Lower East Side and decided to check out CBGBs whilst in the area. I walked past a record shop, Downtown Music Gallery. I looked in the window. It had some great sides. There was a board with recommended releases. At the top was this! Further down was this! I went in and got a ton of CDs. Playing it cool, I approached the counter and said that Peter Fairclough was presently teaching me. The guy just stared back at me and said, "Oh, right..." I guess he was just too much of an NYC Man.

Currently listening to:

Bill Frisell: The Intercontinentals
Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise - Mr Stevens is attempting to record an album dedicated to each United State of America. This is the second one (the first being Greetings From Michigan). They are 2 truly beautiful pieces of work. He also recorded this in between which is good but not great. Illinoise is a lot more uplifting than Michigan. Not having been to either, I'm guessing it has something to do with the states themselves. They need to be heard to be believed. They represent all that is great about American music. It feels like it could have been recorded at any time since the 1800s. And yet its fresh and progressive. Astonishing.

Just watched Jim Jarmusch's Mystery Train for the second time. What a great film. It features Joe Strummer, Screamin Jay Hawkins, Tom Waits, Steve Buscemi and the great Youki Kudoh. It's got a great soundtrack (with original music by a band featuring Marc Ribot). Although it's a film as a whole (linked by Memphis and the music of Elvis Presley), it's also presented as little vignettes and it would make a great 3-Act play.

1 Comments:

  • Thank you for your loveliness, Mr State. I looked out for you at Gallo - but of course I didn't really know what I was looking for, which is probably why it proved unsuccessful.

    Jellie x

    By Blogger Jellie, At 11:26  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home