Steve State

Friday, August 19, 2005

Atonement

My good old friend MC Donny OD has just been signed to Something In Construction. He plays guitar in the band Christian Silva. They have a mini-album out in September which was recorded in France. They're playing accross London regularly. I saw them at the Varsity in Wolverhampton at one of their first shows. Queen and Muse immediately sprang to mind. I'm not a huge fan of either and it's certainly has a pop edge. Indeed, the album has been produced by James Sanger who produced Keane's album. I really hope they can utilise Donny's influences more than they currently do. Donny has some great credentials and an encyclopedic knowledge of music. The label have also mentioned Bowie and Talk Talk in reference to them and I guess I can see that. Christian's voice is very similar to Thom Yorke's. Go and download Why Should I from here or here. It's really good.

The Electric Cinema continues to be the arbiter of creative cinema-going. To celebrate the release of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory they have asked Chouchoute to produce a chocolate fountain and they're also serving chocolate cocktails all week. What an amazing place it is. I don't know another cinema like it. They also have this upstairs. There are bound to be some great ones in London and I've been to The Coronet in Notting Hill which reminded me of the theatre in David Lynch's Mulholland Drive. I reckon The Electric competes with anything London can throw at it though...

Woo has a great post. He's waiting for the new Stevie Wonder album. How has he decided to title his post?....... 'Signed, Sealed.....Undelivered'!!!! YES!!! Brilliant......

Pitchfork has the tendency to be annoying but it has its moments. Here are two great interviews with Ryan Adams and James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem and DFA.

Broadcast appear in this month's Wire. They take part in the Jukebox feature which is ridiculed in the pre-amble to the above James Murphy interview. They mention Cinephilia which I previously mentioned in this post (or see my profile). Its an astonishing place and, again, you would struggle to find a better place to rent films in the entire country. Broadcast must live fairly near to me. They have a studio at the Custard Factory.

,,,,,.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home