Steve State

Sunday, August 21, 2005

What to listen to and when...

Thom Yorke and Radiohead are now blogging whilst recording their new album. Should be very interesting. I've kind of lost interest in them recently. Apart from their over-politicized spoutings (maybe I just disagree with them), I was more concerned with blatant rip-off of Charles Mingus' 'Freedom' from The Complete Town Hall Concert on Hail To The Thief. Great source material but not too clever. Not clever at all, in fact. Downright disgusting. My dissertation was entitled 'To what extent were Kid A and Amnesiac a watershed for popular music?'. The answer was to a moderate extent (to sum up 12,000 words). I have to credit them with my a large part of my musical education. I wouldn't be in to the things I'm into now without studying their interviews etc. Learning about Penderecki, Messiaen, the Warp label, Anti-pop Consortium. Their ground-breaking use of the internet really changed how artists use the web to reach their fans (as well as non-fans). In some ways they became experts in marketing, a charge I'm sure they wouldn't be too keen to hear. (Courtesy of here)

This is something I've been meaning to put up for a long, long time. The extent of Elvis Costello's musical knowledge is something I'll never catch up with. Only Vincent Gallo and perhaps Henry Rollins have similar record collections. Of course there are obsessives all over the world whose collections would dwarf all of the above. The difference is that the above are all in the public eye whose music reaches millions of people and the chances of influencing those people are vast (the late John Peel is another one I've just remembered). So, enhance your collection as you progress through your life with this list. You could do a lot worse. It's great to tick off the albums on there that you now own. Trust me. Ok, ignore me. For those are more anal (if that's possible), go here to see Costello's article in Vanity Fair on what to listen to throughout the day.

On a similar level, Martin Carr (formerly of The Boo Radleys and now Brave Captain) has a blog. Have a look at this post where he goes for a walk with his ipod on shuffle. Great... (courtesy of T)

If you haven't checked out Prefuse 73 yet, do so. He has his head screwed on for sure. He has a diary on his site which reveals much although not often. There is also a really good interview on Pitchfork here. On another Warp records link, here's a great interview with Jamie Lidell who is everywhere at the moment.

Nick Hornby interviewed Bruce Springsteen in the Observer recently. Me and Hornby both share the same favourite song of all time: Thunder Road off Springsteen's Born To Run.

Just seen this which should be interesting. Reading about Elliot Smith always makes me sad.

,,,,.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home