Steve State

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Repressing Colloquial Barbarisms #7

From the Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell 1791

Johnson having argued for some time with a pertinacious gentleman; his opponent, who had talked in a very puzzling manner, happened to say, 'I don't understand you, Sir' upon which Johnson observed, 'Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding.'

A foppish physician (probably Sir Lucas Pepys) once reminded Johnson of his having been in company with him on a former occasion. 'I do not remember it, Sir'. The physician still insisted; adding that he that day wore so fine a coat that it must have attracted his notice. 'Sir, (said Johnson,) had you been dipt in Pactolus, I should not have noticed you.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home