Steve State

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Lady in Satin, Footprints and White Noise

Alex Chilton was missing in New Orleans at the start of the week, but I've just seen this story stating that he's safe. He was apparently last seen in the French Quarter of New Orleans when his name was put on the missing persons website. Big Star were due to release their first new album since the 1970s later this month, I think...

MC Donny OD is no longer a member of Christian Silva. I'm pleased if only for selfish reasons: I want to hook up with him in London and do some stuff together. He was better than the band and he should be a creative force within any ensemble (he was thwarted to a large extent in Silva).

I got a call from my old band, Black Mountain Tapes, in the week with a proposition to play keyboards with them again. Keep you posted...

Easily the saddest record ever: Billie Holiday's Lady in Satin. Her voice ravished by drink and drugs and heartache, she pours her scratchy, weeping voice into Ray Ellis' lush orchestrations. The opening sequence of I'm A Fool To Want You, For Heaven's Sake, You Don't Know What Love Is, I Get Along Without You Very Well and For All We Know just tears you apart.

I was listening to Wayne Shorter's Adam's Apple and thinking of the title track and how 80s Acid Jazz it was. It's surprising that there isn't a big-beat version of it, as far as I know. It would be a massive hit. It's a really under-rated album and has 'Footprints' on it, later to be recorded by Miles. Spoke to T (who turned 27 today) last night and he's just bought one of Shorter's recent albums. How strange...

The Wire is sponsoring an event at the Serpentine Gallery. It looks beautiful. As does the latest architectural commission.

Missed out on tickets for All Tomorrow's Parties which I can't afford to be honest. Every line-up is unique so it's gutting to miss. Jaga Jazzist are playing and here's a review at a great Scotland-based site called White Noise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home