Steve State

Monday, June 06, 2005

A Picture of Britain

I was fascinated by David Dimbleby's A Picture of Britain on BBC1 last night. The series is exploring the link between art, literature, poetry and Britain, whether it be landscape or architecture or nature or whatever. Last night featured the Romantic north, with its focus on the Lake District, the Northumberland coast and the North Yorkshire moors. Although Dimbleby discussed the influence of the Lakes and Wordsworth and the moors with Bronte (Wuthering Heights), he also introduced me to artists and poets I hadn't previously encountered. Worth watching...

(Scandalously, I didn't venture north to the Lakes until late 2003 and was taken aback with its awe-inspiring beauty that I didn't know Britain possessed.)
, , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Ah-the Lake District, might have to plan a vacation. I like your excerpts below too. I came to you blog because you and I are the only ones who list Robert Frank as an interest. He's one of the best of the Beat generation and one of the few remaining, if my math is correct.

    By Blogger paintergirl, At 23:23  

  • How was the Wilco concert?

    By Blogger paintergirl, At 23:43  

  • Hey paintergirl! Don't know whether you had the time (or the energy) to work your way to the bottom of my blog but I posted this brilliant quote from Robert Frank: http://stevestate.blogspot.com/2004/10/freedom-blues-sadness-falls.html
    I know v little about the Beats really. I came to your amazing city in 2003 (only visited Manhattan) and went for a drink in Greenwich Village where Kerouac used to drink and I passed (by accident) the house where Allen Ginsberg used to live on the Lower East Side. I love Bukowski, too but that's where my knowledge ends, I guess.
    Wilco were great, thanks. I love Tweedy's ballades and more laidback, introspective songs whereas they tended to play more of the rockier numbers. The later shows on the tour had all my favourites like Far, Far Away.
    I had a little look at your site last night and it's great. Will have a more in-depth look over the next few days. Your art looks really interesting and I'm looking forward to looking more closely at it.

    By Blogger Steve State, At 15:27  

  • the Beats are interesting. Before we moved to upstate, we lived in Atlanta, (long story/short) we planned a trip to NYC just for a Robert Frank show at the Guggenheim. It was lovely. And on another floor was a photo show by other Beats.

    You should check out "Thank You" by Frank. (If you haven't seen it already)
    It's a collection of letters with art/photographs written to Robert Frank. Very sweet.

    By Blogger paintergirl, At 19:15  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home