Steve State

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I Am A Bird Now

I shall be receiving Ryan Adams' latest album in the post later this week. I can't wait. You can hear it on his website and it sounds as great as Heartbreaker or Gold. Another album I am awaiting is Antony and the Johnsons latest album on Rough Trade - I Am A Bird Now. I heard a track on Radio 3's Late Junction and was totally blown away (excuse the melodramatics) and then a track is on the latest Uncut mag CD (as is a great song off Teenage Fanclub's new album which also gets a really good review). The Antony... album is reviewed in The Wire:
Music is often lazily described as 'stunning', but 'Hope There's Someone' which
opens this album is so extraordinarily beutiful, so deeply melancholy that it literally stopped me in my tracks. Standing by the CD player, slackjawed and gawping helplessly, I could have been pushed over as easily as a sleeping cow....
It's not often that The Wire gets dewey-eyed about an album that isn't some post-post-modern meditation on globalisation and socio-political meltdown.

Lou Reed, who is apparently Antony's mentor, makes a cameo. The guy sounds a little like Boy George (who also guests).



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home